KIT #: 5913
FINISHED SIZE: 8"x10"
MY RATING: 4 stars
I gave this four stars and not five because the pink in this is showing up much darker on their color photo than in person. It's a nauseating shade of pink and I'm very unhappy with it. It's an awful bubble gum pink, or Pepto Bismol shade. The green trees are darker in person than on their image, and I like that.
CHANGES I MADE: His nose was supposed to be lavender and blue with aqua underneath. I changed it using leftover orange and yellow-orange (color #'s 12314 and 12303) floss from a Dimensions kit called Let It Snow. I went with those colors because snowmen typically have an orange carrot nose. This one's nose blended in too much with all the other colors so I gave it a pop of color by using two shades of orange. I'd originally kept it aqua underneath but changed it to light aqua since it didn't stand out as much against the yellow-orange as the aqua did.
There are many rows of blue and aqua in front of each of the three trees that just didn't look right to me. I used less rows and changed the length of them on two of the trees but kept the smaller tree on the right the same. I'm not really happy with my changes but the changes look better than theirs do. Near the bottom of the left side of the tree on the far right didn't look right because it needed more stitches. It looks like some were forgotten though it's supposed to be that way. I added several more green ones to make it look more like the bottom of the opposite side. As is it just looked wrong so I fixed it and I'm happy with what I did.
Design Works state in every kit that they may or may not be using DMC brand embroidery floss it each kit. Colors used in this kit are: white, light peach, peach, dark peach, light pink, pink, red, yellow green, light green, green, dark green, light aqua, aqua, blue, blue grey, lavender, light grey, grey, dark grey, darkest grey, brown. We were given one six-strand piece of darkest grey. I almost didn't have enough for the backstitching at the end. I was down to a 7" strand but didn't think what was enough to use for the backstitching for the three buttons so I used a very similar shade of gray from a finished Dimensions kit. I almost ran out of red too. I was down to an 11.5" two-strand piece and one strand that was about 8" long. They tell you too that if you run out of floss, let them know and they'll send you some.
DISCREPANCIES: I noticed some things on the chart what weren't on the finished photo. Her hat has one lone red cross stitch on the pink part of her hat but it's not on the color photo. I used the red stitch, thought it looked odd there all by itself but decided to leave it because the more I looked at it the more I liked it. And I still like it.
There are two red vertical stitches on the photo of the scarf that aren't on the chart. They do look better there on the green but I was too far past it to change the green stitches to red.
The chart shows one lone blue stitch right near her eye but it wasn't on the color photo. I didn't make that stitch blue either since that was clearly a mistake. The stitching is wrong on one spot on her hood on the color photo.
The aqua cross stitch 'stars' were a pain to do, as you had to do each one individually or you'd see the floss stretched from one cross stitch to the next since the fabric is white.
CHANGES I MADE: His nose was supposed to be lavender and blue with aqua underneath. I changed it using leftover orange and yellow-orange (color #'s 12314 and 12303) floss from a Dimensions kit called Let It Snow. I went with those colors because snowmen typically have an orange carrot nose. This one's nose blended in too much with all the other colors so I gave it a pop of color by using two shades of orange. I'd originally kept it aqua underneath but changed it to light aqua since it didn't stand out as much against the yellow-orange as the aqua did.
There are many rows of blue and aqua in front of each of the three trees that just didn't look right to me. I used less rows and changed the length of them on two of the trees but kept the smaller tree on the right the same. I'm not really happy with my changes but the changes look better than theirs do. Near the bottom of the left side of the tree on the far right didn't look right because it needed more stitches. It looks like some were forgotten though it's supposed to be that way. I added several more green ones to make it look more like the bottom of the opposite side. As is it just looked wrong so I fixed it and I'm happy with what I did.
Design Works state in every kit that they may or may not be using DMC brand embroidery floss it each kit. Colors used in this kit are: white, light peach, peach, dark peach, light pink, pink, red, yellow green, light green, green, dark green, light aqua, aqua, blue, blue grey, lavender, light grey, grey, dark grey, darkest grey, brown. We were given one six-strand piece of darkest grey. I almost didn't have enough for the backstitching at the end. I was down to a 7" strand but didn't think what was enough to use for the backstitching for the three buttons so I used a very similar shade of gray from a finished Dimensions kit. I almost ran out of red too. I was down to an 11.5" two-strand piece and one strand that was about 8" long. They tell you too that if you run out of floss, let them know and they'll send you some.
DISCREPANCIES: I noticed some things on the chart what weren't on the finished photo. Her hat has one lone red cross stitch on the pink part of her hat but it's not on the color photo. I used the red stitch, thought it looked odd there all by itself but decided to leave it because the more I looked at it the more I liked it. And I still like it.
There are two red vertical stitches on the photo of the scarf that aren't on the chart. They do look better there on the green but I was too far past it to change the green stitches to red.
The chart shows one lone blue stitch right near her eye but it wasn't on the color photo. I didn't make that stitch blue either since that was clearly a mistake. The stitching is wrong on one spot on her hood on the color photo.
The aqua cross stitch 'stars' were a pain to do, as you had to do each one individually or you'd see the floss stretched from one cross stitch to the next since the fabric is white.
I used a black 9"x12" frame. Would have preferred 9"x11" but couldn't find one.
Total cost for the kit and frame was $26.63.

No comments:
Post a Comment