Saturday, February 26, 2022

WATERING CAN CATS Counted Cross Stitch Kit from Design Works

LIST PRICE: $19.99
KIT # 3247
FINISHED SIZE: 8x10
IMAGES: link
MY RATING: 4 stars




This kit came with two shades of light gray that may or may not have been DMC brand (according to them), Light Grey #415 and Grey #414, with #414 being the darker of the two. It's barely darker than the lighter one and they're both used on the cat on the bottom. The darker gray is used for backstitching everything except the grass. I did some backstitching with it and it was so light you could barely see it so I stopped and ordered DMC #645 "very dark beaver grey." I had to take out all the stitched I'd done in the darker gray they gave me and replace it with the darker gray I'd bought. Talk about a pain in the you know what.

I added French knots to the butterfly. I made the center of the flowers gold instead of yellow because I accidentally used gold on some (I got the symbols mixed up), liked it so used gold for all that were to be yellow. I didn't like the cat's bow being mostly dark pink since she was holding a flower that looked exactly the same color-wise, so I used lighter pink. I regretted it at first but now I like it. I also added more French knots around the flowers.

My #1 complaint is the issue with the gray floss. I also wish there'd been more color mixing on the yellow butterfly. It's just two shades of a similar yellow, and white. I'm not happy with it.

This was simple to complete because it used the basics- cross stitches, French knots, and backstitching. I'm pretty angry that the kit didn't have the same dark gray floss as shown in the image and I'm positive it was a mistake. Had I used it anyway the cat would have been two pale shades of gray with hardly any difference between them and it would have looked just awful. Having to wait on floss that was ordered online caused quite a delay in completing this.

Total cost of kit, gray floss, and frame was $24.50.



No comments:

Post a Comment